Chronic pain is always a challenge, but it is especially debilitating when it affects the shoulders and the neck. The muscles and nerves that begin in these body parts can extend all the way down to the fingers. When severe symptoms set in, you may be in too much pain to write, type, or even hold a spoon. Other troubling conditions like migraines can be triggered by damage to the neck. Learn about the signs of serious neck pain and the options available to you for treatment.
What is Neck Pain?
Damage to the neck and shoulders may not manifest as pain first. Other symptoms often appear before the pain, but go unnoticed for weeks or months. Paying close attention to your body will ensure that you seek treatment as soon as a problem like whiplash or tendonitis sets in. Neck pain appears as a symptom of dozens of disorders, so you will need the help of a professional in Mission Viejo to hunt down the true cause.
Neck Pain Symptoms
Endless variations of neck pain occur, with each new change bringing on a set of possible causes. Your symptoms could take the form of:
- Burning sensations in the skin or muscles
- Cramping and twitching of the neck
- Muscle stiffness and loss of range of motion
- Tenderness to the touch
- Pain that increases when you move or try to stretch
- Cracking, popping, or rustling noises when you move your head and neck
- Glandular pain on either side of the neck
Cause of Neck Pain
The causes of neck pain are numerous, but there are just a few conditions that most of our patients are experiencing. These common causes can include:
- Muscle or ligament strain due to overexertion and repetition
- Dislocated shoulders
- Entrapped or pinched nerves in the neck and upper back
- Looseness or instability in the neck and shoulder
- Traumatic injury during a sports game or a car accident
- Fractures to the arm or collarbone, either freshly broken or improperly healed
Neck Pain Risks
There are a few rarer and more severe causes of neck and shoulder pain. If your symptoms become severe or set on very quickly, seek immediate treatment in case of:
- Hereditary joint abnormalities
- Internal injury or recent fracture
- Degenerative disorders that are attacking the spine and discs
- Infections in the neck
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Tumors pushing on nerve roots
Neck Pain Treatment Options
The treatment depends on the severity of the pain. For immediate relief we recommend ice/cold therapy to soothe inflammation and release tension without affecting the rest of the body or mind. Treatments for chronic pain linked to an old injury includes:
- Massage and stretching to loosen up tight muscles
- Relaxation techniques to help tension melt away
- Light Force Chiropractic adjustments to correct the spine without any traditional, hard adjusting.
- Chronic pain management treatments to help you avoid both medications and surgery
- Corrective care for the cervical spine to help restore the curve
Seeking The Truth About Neck Pain
If you have been struggling with chronic pain in your neck and shoulders for years, you may be surprised to learn about your new treatment options. Vibration therapy improves blood flow to speed healing. We teach trigger point therapy for you to use at home to take away the muscular pain and stiffness. Even numbness, tingling, and inflammation can fade with proper treatment. Contact Manago Chiropractic to alleviate your neck pain today.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, Dr. Manago or a member of Manago Chiropractic team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Manago Chiropractic Team know how significant your neck pain problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your neck pain, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Manago Chiropractic has a lot of experience with neck pain, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Manago Chiropractic. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your neck pain. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, neck pain is almost always a fixable condition.
Free Neck Pain Consultation
If you are suffering from neck pain, Dr. Manago and the team at Manago Chiropractic are ready to help. Manago Chiropractic provides specialized treatment plans for neck pain in Mission Viejo and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (949) 245-7900 today to schedule your free consultation!